Friday, March 22, 2013

10 QUESTIONS with Killdeer Mayor Dan Dolechek


10 QUESTIONS with Killdeer Mayor Dan Dolechek

Posted on 22 March 2013 by Bryce Martin
Killdeer City Commission President Dan Dolechek – more colloquially referred to as Killdeer mayor – was elected in 2008 to his first term serving the city of Killdeer.
Mayor Dan Dolechek has served the city of Killder since he was elected in 2008. (Photo by BRYCE MARTIN/Herald)
Mayor Dan Dolechek has served the city of Killdeer since he was elected in 2008. (Photo by BRYCE MARTIN/Herald)
By BRYCE MARTIN
Herald Editor
Posted March 22, 2013
Killdeer City Commission President Dan Dolechek – more colloquially referred to as Killdeer mayor – was elected in 2008 to his first term serving the city of Killdeer. Since then, he has become surrounded by some of the biggest oil boom development in Dunn County history.
Q: Where are you from?
A: From Dickinson originally. Been here since 1980.
Q: What attracted you to Dunn County?
A: My first wife was from Killdeer. Since I’ve been here, I’ve just fallen in love with the place – the scenery, all the opportunities.
Q: Do you take part in the recreation?
A: Yes. One year out where I hunt all the time, the landowner called the game warden out there because he found two bucks that had been fighting and their antlers were locked together. So the local game warden went out there to do what he could and he ended up sawing a couple of the antlers off to free them. This was about a month before the season started. It turned out that the deer that I shot was the one that he had sawed the points off of. I didn’t know that until I walked up to it.
Q: What’s your favorite place in North Dakota?
A: The Killdeer Mountain area, Lake Sakakawea, the badlands. Dunn County.
Q: How do you feel about the effects from the oil boom?
A: For the most part, I think it’s been good for the area. It’s brought a lot of wealth to a lot of the people that weren’t used to it. Working at Cenex for 15 years prior to my present job, I saw a lot of people that were struggling, living day-to-day and now they can park that old truck and tractor and get some new equipment. It’s been pretty beneficial for the area.
Q: What’s your present job?
A: Work for Petrol Hunt Corp. The little knife oil field that’s been out here since the first oil boom, like 15 miles west of town. I’m a mechanic.
Q: Are you going to stay mayor as long as you can?
A: I’ve been on two terms of the commission before I was elected mayor. This is my second term as mayor. It’s been fun, been exciting and I’ll probably stick with it for a while yet.
Q: What’s your favorite part of being mayor (Commission President)?
A: Just seeing the progress and the good things that we can do as a city leader to better the community.
Q: Where do you think Killdeer will be in 10 years? What will it look like?
A: I think that it’ll probably be twice the size it presently is with a lot of new people and hopefully a lot of new businesses and different things to do.
Q: What do you think about the drilling in the Killdeer Mountains?
A: That’s something that I think- I mean this oil isn’t going to go anywhere. I think they could’ve waited a year or two and come up with a better solution to that instead of just going in there and getting started on it. It’s not like the oil is going to disappear. With the sacred ground and whatever that’s out there, it’s something they should have definitely looked into a little before they started on it. ♦
Mayor Dan Dolechek has served the city of Killder since he was elected in 2008. (Photo by BRYCE MARTIN/Herald)

No comments:

Post a Comment